Saturday, March 22, 2008

The People that We Love

   There are many people in my life who have stirred my soul and moved me in ways that I simply cannot describe. Most of these people probably have no idea that they have affected my life in such a profound way. A few such people were former classmates who, as teenagers, lived with a delightful charisma - an energy that could lift the spirits of an entire room. Fascinatingly, these people were not always the enlightened sort; they were merely those exceptional individuals whose potential shone clear as day, regardless of the perhaps questionable life choices they were making at the time. These are the people who have gone on to be mothers and fathers; people who have gone on adventures and who have either found their calling in life, or have committed themselves to finding one; people who, whether conscious of it or not, live by the path of the heart.

   It is somewhat strange to be so moved by the fact that a woman has become a mother, or by the fact that a man has gone on to be a doctor, considering that these are the most ancient of vocations. What is so moving, however, is the way that the seemingly commonplace can be so profoundly transformative. Changes contextualized as opportunities instigate a commitment to truth and compassion that is both exquisite to experience, and sublime to bear witness to.

   Teachers. Doctors. Parents. Friends. With love, these people who live via their hearts can be so bold and yet so gentle in their actions, that it appears they act with the same discretion and care toward others that one would employ in performing surgery on his own fragile spirit. These are people who may have appeared lost at points in their lives only to have overcome by persistence and solidary commitment to an order of the good that they may only have ever known by faith. Though faith is a strange way to describe it, because there is nothing for them to doubt. Perhaps by the mere fact of their alignment with the good, they are affirmed in their belief in it, for how else would such an alignment be possible?

   In any case, I am compelled to express gratitude for these people. I have not even encroached upon an accurate description of their importance in the world, let alone in my life; I have merely set my gaze with awe in their direction. To simply be aware of you all is humbling. No acts or words can embody the love and gratitude that your presence in the world inspires. Thank-you for the blessings that you are, anonymously in the lives of so many who will never get the opportunity to thank you personally, and for the way that you proceed without thought of recognition. Thank-you for the wholeness that is you, and for the inspiration that uplifts my soul. You are truly beautiful spirits.

yours in peace,

-Rob

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank You !

LeeWithWings-from the Deepak forum

LeeAnn Bung
White Tail Hummingbird

bathtime said...

I hit your blog when I searched Choy's article(banana). The comment inspire me. Also this article reminds me a person who are a heart sergion. Every time he couldn't help, he hurt, especially kids. However, he has to operate every day even though whatever he feels. You mention about showing "I love you" by action or words. Even now, if I could express words in English, I could tell more my feeling. Thank you share your thoughts.